Monday, September 8, 2008

Quiet (and not so quiet) Strength




This was the first official day of national school for the boys. After I dropped them off at their schools (they are attending different ones this year) I began to think about how strong and brave our boys are. Both of the boys were excited to start school today and I took comfort in that. Even though they cannot speak fluently or understand everything being said, they were still excited. I took Caleb to school first and as we stood there with hundreds of other kids and their parents Caleb was unusually quiet. He just stood there watching and listening. After a while I walked up to him in line and told him that I needed to leave. "Okay Mom" he said and as he turned his head I saw one small tear fall. Ouch!
Josiah was next. I took him to the same school he went to last year so there was at least some familiarity for him. As we walked up to his new teacher/class he began to cry. Wait a second, he was so excited 5 minutes ago. I realized that in his mind he thought that he would have the same teacher and that the another English speaking child would be in his class. I talked to him for a few minutes and he stopped crying, put on his 'inside shoes' and walked into his new class.
Our boys are brave. They did something today that would make most people feel scared and uncomfortable.
As a side note both of the boys came home today and had nothing but good things to say about how the day went.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Brave boys and brave mommy.