Thursday, July 31, 2008

Something Familiar


After living overseas for a little over a year I have become accustomed to life here. I am used to the sound of drums whenever there is a wedding close by, or the honking when there is either a wedding or a big soccer game. I am familiar with the grocery store and it no longer takes me 3 hours to get in and out. I am accustomed to having access to a fresh produce stand within minutes from my apartment. I am used to hearing English rap music when I walk into the store - though I may be the only one there who understands it. For as much as I have become accustomed to life here there are, honestly, things that I miss. I miss having a variety of cereal to choose from and easy lunch options for the boys. I miss the ease of being able to go the grocery store at any hour that was convenient for me - very early or pretty late. Oh how I miss one-stop-shopping and finding a bargain! I miss driving and knowing that the lines in the road mean something. Honestly, in the summer time, I miss the common practice of wearing deodorant! I realize these things are not that important in the grand scheme of things. I can laugh about them most of the time. What I really miss, of course, are friends and family. I miss being apart of their 'day to day' lives and them being a part of mine. A few weeks ago my mother sent me a coffee mug that she said reminded her of me. The funny thing is that when I opened it I thought 'this cup is so me'. Soon after I received the mug I also discovered a new coffee drink that reminds me of my mother because it tastes like coffee ice cream. About every other day I mix this drink into my mug - it reminds me of my mother. Sometimes I need that.

1 comment:

Michael & Autumn said...

I KNEW this picture would get it's own post! :) Every OTHER day?!? Hmmm...

From a fellow Nescafe Ice lover